The sudden downturn

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 12:08 AM
Just as i thought everything was going fine for me at work and in life.. that i might be accepted into Ultra section.. then.. things took a downturn. It was kind of a shock for me and a turning point to me too..

Last fri evening, i went to my fren's condo for bbq gathering.. And, just as i was making my way to the bbq pit to find them.. oh and btw, it was pouring quite heavily.. so there were some puddles on the floor which i din see and somehow, my shoes gave way and i slipped and fell with a loud thud and landed on my thigh!! MAN!! It was really painful!! I couldn't pick myself up at all.. Soon my fren, Vic called to ask where i was and i replied wad happened to me. Shocked, he went to find me and as soon as he found me, i was lying on the floor in a position with my thigh and knee bent 90 degrees apart. Later, a few others came to see me. They were shocked to know wad happened to me. After a while of struggling, i managed to make myself sit on the ledge near the wall. But, struggle as i cud, i still can't lift my feet up and straighten it. The last solution was.... to go to the hospital.

Luckily one of my fren drove, so he gave us a lift to the nearby hospital. As i struggled to pull myself up, with my frens carrying me.. it was rly painful man!! Suffered and tolerated the pain until we reached the nearest hospital.. which was KTPH! Upon entering and after the registration, i went in to see the doc, followed by an X-ray on my leg.. and then, it was suspected that i had a fracture on my left hip bone. I got scared and din noe wad to do. But its a fact. So after that, i notify my parents and they came to the hospital to see me. After everything was done, i was being admitted into the hospital and warded.

That night, my orthopaedic surgeon came and talked to me abt my fracture. It was a serious hip bone fracture and he explained very detailed abt everything.. and lastly, he said a surgery was necessary. So therefore, i had to prepare for an operation. At that time, my mind was in a whirl.. i was totally shocked and well.. just followed wad he said. A more complete and precise explanation of my fracture....

The tip of my hip bone, which is the "head", has sort of "came off" or separated from the rest of the bones at the joint. And, there were many blood vessels near the "head", as my bone "head" is now separated from the joint, the blood cannot flow thru these vessels and without the continuous blood circulation flow, the "head" will die and then there will be trouble. So, seeing that im still young, he said he will do an op for me to join the "head" with the joint back together. And by doing so, 3 metal screws will be drilled into my bone to join the "head" with the joint back together. But there are still some risks involved. One is, the bone head and joint might not be joined back together properly, the other is the avascular change which is a symptom whereby the blood vessels cannot receive blood due to the interruption of blood flow circulating thru the vessels to the bone head, and as a result, the bone head will die off and then they might need to replace a metal bone for me to act as the bone head which might lead to even more complications. (Haha.. very bio right??)

So yeah, during the op, i was given the anaesthethic to sleep so i wun feel any pain. All i know was, they made me breathe in this STRONG GAS thru the airway.. and it was so strong that after a few mins, i was totally knocked out and i didn't know what happened at all. After a while, i came to and found myself lying in the recovery room as it was quite cold and i was freezing. At that time, i was still quite tired so went back to slp, until they woke me up for another X-ray before i was being pushed back to the ward to cont my slp again. Then, my family and relatives came to visit me. Later, my church frens also came along. And the first time i had my dinner, but i rly had no appetite at all. Vomitted a few times due to the nausea.. and after they left, there were a night snack that was a hotdog bun so i ate it and slept for the night.

The next day, i was feeling better. My appetite came back and i could eat normally again. Then they came visiting me again. My left leg was put in a horizontal straight position and i cannot move it at all.. cos it had just been operated on, so it needs time for the 3 screws to join and the bone to join and heal also.. After a few more days, it was getting better and so the physio came to teach me how to walk using crutches. My first time learning how to walk with crutches!! After learning how to walk already, the doctor then said i could discharge tmr!! I was so happy... getting ready and prepared for discharge.

So, in total, i spent 5 days in the hospital from Fri to Tues. And, during these 5 days of my stay in this hospital, i had frens and family relatives came to visit me, also not forgetting Dextre my army fren who came to visit me.. rly very touched and blessed. =) oh and also, the nurses there were nice and frenly as well. Overall, the hospital environment was really pretty and nice, as its a new hospital which opened quite recently only. (So.. am i lucky to be one of the patients in this new hospital?? Well..) Anyway, finally i got discharged on Tues!! So happy!!! Mum came to fetch me and we went back home on taxi.

Got back home, but things were no longer the same. I can't walk with two legs now. Need to use crutches and walk, which is a new experience for me. Must not put weight on my left leg, tat was wad the doc told me. Oh and btw, the doc gave me 2 mths of mc!! Yay!! Ok.. its pretty long, but its also necessary for such a serious sickness like mine to heal.. so yeah. But then, also nd to go back for another X-ray the next month to see if bones have completely healed and joined back together or not.. and also many follow-ups and appointments.. And another thing, i might get down-pes too.. but that still unconfirmed.

Just hope i can recover fast and get back to walking with my 2 feet again.. Staying at home is really very boring!! I wanna go out!! I want to be back to normal again!!! Yes!!!!

Bye....

0 comments

Post a Comment